R4 Roosters v Panthers - Game Day Thread

R4 Roosters v Panthers

Game Day Information

:rugby_football: Match Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers
:stadium: Venue Allianz Stadium, Moore Park NSW
:clock10: Time Thursday, March 28 8:00pm
:tickets: Tickets Tickets via Ticketek
:rugby_football: Other Matches NSWCUP Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers 31/3 3:00pm1
JFLEGG Sydney Roosters v Penrith Panthers 31/3 1:15pm1
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: Weather :sun_behind_large_cloud: Mostly Cloudy 21°C (:cloud_with_rain: Chance of Rain: 5% / :wind_face: Wind: SE 14km/h)
:tv: Broadcast :tv: Channel 9 (FTA) [LIVE]
:tv: Fox League (Channel 502) [LIVE]
:desktop_computer: NRL Live Pass [LIVE]
:kayo: Kayo Sports [LIVE]
:radio: ABC Sydney 702AM [LIVE]
:radio: 2GB Sydney 873AM [LIVE]
:radio: MMM Sydney 104.9FM [LIVE]

1. NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg matches are to be played at Wentworth Park on Sunday 31/3

:rugby_football: Telstra Premiership | Full Time

Penrith Panthers 22 Tries Sunia Turuva (3), Dylan Edwards.
Goals Dylan Edwards (2/4)
Sydney Roosters 16 Tries Sitili Tupouniua, Brandon Smith, Daniel Tupou.
Goals Sam Walker (2/3)

Postgame Media

MATCH REPORT

PRESS CONFERENCE

HIGHLIGHTS

FULL MATCH REPLAY

PANTHER PRIDE MOTM VOTING

Team

Telstra Premiership Knock on Effect NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
:rugby_football: Roosters v Panthers :rugby_football: Roosters v Panthers :rugby_football: Roosters v Panthers
:clock3: Thursday 28/3 8:00pm :clock3: Sunday 31/3 3:00pm :clock3: Sunday 31/3 1:15pm
:stadium: Allianz Stadium :stadium: Wentwork Park :stadium: Wentwork Park
TEAM
1. Dylan Edwards 1. Isaiah Iongi 1. Tim Carson
2. Sunia Turuva 2. Jesse Mclean 2. Angelis Hotere-Papalii
3. Izack Tago 3. Tyrone Peachey 3. Casey Mclean
4. Taylan May 4. David Fale 4. Sam Lane
5. Brian To’o 5. Paul Alamoti 5. Nick Murphy
6. Jarome Luai 6. Jack Cole 6. Joseph Nohra
7. Brad Schneider 7. Trent Toelau 7. Blake Moore
8. Moses Leota 8. Luron Patea 8. John Sagaga
9. Mitch Kenny 9. Soni Luke 9. Billy Scott
10. Lindsay Smith 10. Jordan Grant 10. Billy Phillips
11. Luke Garner 11. Harrison Hassett 11. Riley Wake
12. Liam Martin 12. Ativalu Lisati 12. Lachlan Blackburn
13. Isaah Yeo © 13. Luke Sommerton 13. Aston Warwick ©
INTERCHANGE
14. Daine Laurie 14. Alex Seve 23. Noah Nailagoliva
15. Matt Eisenhuth 15. Faleata Iosefa 15. Ahmani Leilua
16. Liam Henry 16. Niko Apelu 16. Josh Ruxton
17. Mavrik Geyer 17. Zac Lipowicz 17. Francis Manuleleua
RESERVES
18. Soni Luke 18. Daeon Amituanai 18. Cooper Ferrari
19. Jack Cole 19. Joe Vaegaau 19. Cooper Egan
20. Ativalu Lisati 20. Jirah Liddiard
21. Paul Alamoti 21. Siotame Hansen
22. Tyrone Peachey 22. Fletcher Haycock
COACH
HC Ivan Cleary HC Ben Harden HC Jono Rolfe
AC Peter Wallace
AC Ben Garnier

:small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: Promoted/Relegated | :small_orange_diamond: Positional Change

Match Officials

Telstra Premiership K.O.E NSW Cup Jersey Flegg Cup
Referee Adam Gee TBA TBA
Sideline Official Chris Sutton TBA TBA
Dave Munro TBA TBA
Video Referee Chris Butler - -

Referee Success Rate

Referee Active Since 2024 Overall Pen. For Pen. Against Ratio
Adam Gee 2011 (0/0) 100% (23/34) 67.65% 165.5 157.5 1.05

Ch 9 news report NC to miss game due to minor hamstring strain.

WW report that Mav Geyer likely to debut due to injury to Sorenson

1 Like

Saw both those news items.

Can’t believe we are already gaming the system with lack of injury reporting. I used to love the physio injury reports on the panthers website.

If Mav is true then good luck to him, I have been awaiting his debut, and wish him well, but alas I don’t think he is Sorro.

Surely Schneider gets a call up if Cleary is out? Hopefully not Jerome in the 7!

1 Like

Its a shame both sides will not be at their best but from our perspective whilst not ideal its better in my view to suffer injury setbacks now rather than later in the year.
But as mentioned it gives someone else a crack at NRL level and the opportunity to shine.

Losing Cleary is a monster hit and we will see if we have a able understudy as we did last year with Cogger.

Hopefully we get through this game and we have a bye which may get Cleary OK

Roosters have looked good this year especially compared to last year so this will be a tough game and moreso with our team changes.

I note Moses at the Eels is out for up to 12 weeks so they ill tested as well.

Been a few unusual injuries impacting teams so early in the comp.

1 Like

There have been a lot of critical injuries across the NRL in only 3 weeks. Season feels a bit different, like teams are going harder earlier and players are having more than a bit of rust knocked off them.

I wasn’t certain that Sorensen was ready to come back from his injury, and I think that became ecvident against he Broncos.

Cleary is said to be a minor hamsting injury and it is up to 4 weeks, whatever that means, so he could be back as early as next week and as long as round 7… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I expect Edwards to have a huge game, he always stands up when playing so-called Star fullbacks

3 Likes

I’m actually excited for this game. I’m eager to see what Schneider has to offer. I’ve read at least one post on the forum saying he’s been going well in NSW Cup, and I hope he’ll do well.

Also very eager to see what Geyer brings in subbing for Sorensen. My only concern is whether he can keep his cool, and not lose it like his Dad was prone to do.

As SBF said, it’ll be good to find out about our depth early in the season. Funnily enough, having Schneider & Geyer in the side makes me more interested in the game than if it had been business as usual. The Roosters will provide a good test, so let’s see how our systems hold up.

Win or lose, I think we’ll give a good account of ourselves.

3 Likes

I hope Mavrik is like his dad…Mark was a giant of our club and i honestly believe the fear factor he had on other players helped us win our first ever GF.

IF he ia shadow of his dad he will do well.

He cannot be like his dad, he has to be himself but he walks in a very large shadow of his dad.

I share your enthusiasm for how we go in this game with 2 new faces and i think Roosters should be more worried about the wounded Panther. They do not worry me at all, we stick to our processes we get the chocolates.

2 Likes

These chocolate soldiers from out west, they don’t melt

Next man up has stood us in good stead for 4 seasons now, so don’t see any reason it won’t continue.

Don’t recall too much of Schnieder at the raiders, but he played well in the NSW Cup game vs slimies, and IC obviously has confidence in him so all good I suggest.

As for Mav, I know there have been many calling for him to play NRL for a while now, especially the ‘experts’ on FB, who hate Huth and Garner :open_mouth:
As he is MG’s son, he has been very visible coming through the ranks, without really being able to standup & demand to be picked, like we have seen from Smith & Henry et al, albeit without a real opening for him up to now. He needs to be just like the other guys who have got an opportunity in recent times and do the job he has been asked to do. I’m hoping he goes extra good.

I look forward to the game.

3 Likes

Always a challenge, playing the best team that money can buy.

We should not forget the laughably fraudulent attempt of Easts last year to have the NRL introduce a modification to the financial framework under which the NRL operates; in the proposal Easts would be financially recompensed for being a development club (notwithstanding that Easts wouldn’t know a local junior if they fell over one) and in that same table of clubs Penrith was ranked somewhere towards the bottom. The Salary Sombrero remains a sick joke.

2 Likes

Mavrik isnt cast from the same mold. He is built different, more mobile, runs with the ball and has a great passing game. Where he is similar is his defence, hard and unforgiving.

He’ll do great.

2 Likes

Brandy’s nephew after all!

Was going to go to the game, but $65 to sit behind posts, plus tolls and food etc - it’s simply too expensive for me, when i can sit at home on the couch in comfort and watch.

As i type this, I’m thinking maybe the leagues club would be a good option!

We’re not the favourites going into the game, probably for the first time in a long, long time. Bring it on!

2 Likes

It is good to be the underdog again.

Looking forward to a few cross field kicks from Yeo to catch them out.

1 Like

1 Like

Tigers will be watching closely to see if their million dollar man can control a game.
Just need our forwards to dominate and the rest falls into place. Collins is a monster out for them.

Well three words come to mind in that first half;

Edwards
Yeo
Leota

We keep our head and we should win this

1 Like

does anyone else ever feel like they are watching another game?

Roosters first denied try there was on obstruction on Luai and Manu knocks on but they penalise JWH for an effort on Edwards.

Then we have the last try which was lost and doesn’t even go to the bunker.

That being said we have them everywhere except we look a little lost on our last tackle options.

Roosters have burnt some energy in the first half but we need to up the effort in the 2nd half.

And if anyone is watching Fox is Ennis the worst commentator out there?

and what is it with this talking up the Roosters May

Edward has been head and shoulders the best player on the park.

2 Likes